• OxyContin use by twelfth graders is up 40 percent nationwide in just three years. Five times as many twelfth graders report using OxyContin than report using methamphetamine. 1
• Among adolescents and young adults, 9.3 percent reported using Vicodin. That number makes Vicodin one of the most commonly abused illicit drugs. 2
• Sixty-three percent of youth who had used prescription drugs non-medically in the past year had also used marijuana in the past year. 3
• Approximately 2.8 million persons aged 12 or older had used OxyContin non-medically at least once in their lifetime. 4
• Among more than 7,300 teenagers surveyed, approximately 1 in 10 teenagers, or 2.3 million teenagers nationally, reported abusing OxyContin. 5
• More teenage girls than boys now smoke and abuse prescription drugs, and girls also are starting to use marijuana, alcohol, and cigarettes at a higher rate than boys. 6
• The rise in female teen drug use is opposite overall trends, which indicate less use of illicit drugs. 7
• More girls were first-time marijuana users in 2002, 2003, and 2004. Many more girls than boys of the same age illicitly used prescription drugs. 8
• Increased stress, concerns about appearance, and the need to escape the trauma of physical or sexual abuse may be factors in the trend [toward increased illicit prescription drug use among girls]. "Girls want to do what older guys are doing or they want to be cool," said Meghan Ward, 18, who volunteers with a Connecticut group called Peer Advocates. "Girls do feel a lot of stress - everything from school, to most of us work, we have boyfriends, and we want to maintain good friendships. It's hard." 9
Next >> Find the answer
1. Monitoring the Future, 2005 study, National Institute on Drug Abuse.
2. National Household Survey on Drug Abuse, 2001.
4. National Survey on Drug Use and Health: National Findings , 2003.
5. Partnership Attitude Tracking Study, 2004.
6. The White House Office of National Drug Control Policy
7. National Survey on Drug Use and Health
9. The Washington Post, February 9, 2006.
Copyright 2015 Blake Works Inc.