Consider these facts to support your decision to get tested, or to encourage someone you know to do so:
• Because many sexually experienced teens have not been tested for HIV, the actual number of teens living with HIV infection is estimated to be much higher than the reported number. 1
• Each year in the United States, about 20,000 young people are newly infected with HIV. 2
• Many Americans, including youth, may not understand that HIV, HPV, herpes simplex, hepatitis B and C, gonorrhea, syphilis, and chlamydia can be transmitted during unprotected oral intercourse. 3
• Of the 850,000 to 950,000 people estimated to be living with HIV/AIDS in the U.S., approximately 25 percent do not know they are infected. 4
Next >> Find the answer
1. Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC). HIV/AIDS Surveillance Report 2002; 13(2): 1-44. & National Institute of Allergy & Infectious Diseases. HIV Infection in Adolescents: Fact Sheet. Rockville, MD: National Institutes of Health, 2002
2. Advocates for Youth
3. Remez L. Oral sex among adolescents: is it sex or is it abstinence? Fam Plann Perspect 2000; 32:298-304.
4. CDC, MMWR, Vol.52, No.15, 2003. & CDC, Supplement to HIV and AIDS Surveillance Project, June 1997-December 2000
Copyright 2015 Blake Works Inc.