Dying to smoke
There are lots of reasons never to start smoking. Here are just a few:
• About 90% of all deaths from chronic obstructive lung diseases are attributable to cigarette smoking. 1, 2
• Cigarette smoking increases the risk of infertility. 2
• Smoking cigarettes causes you to get wrinkles earlier. 3
• Smoking cigarettes causes early tooth loss. 4
• More deaths are caused each year by tobacco use than by all deaths from HIV, illegal drug use, alcohol use, motor vehicle injuries, suicides, and murders combined. 5, 6
Next >> Find the answer
1. Novotny TE, Giovino GA. Tobacco use. In: Brownson RC, Remington PL, Davis JR (ed) Washington, DC: American Public Health Association; 1998. p.117–148.
2. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Women and Smoking: A Report of the Surgeon General. Rockville, MD: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, CDC; 2001. Accessed: February 2004.
3. Journal of the American Dental Association, January 1999
4. CDC. Annual smoking-attributable mortality, years of potential life lost, and economic costs—United States, 1995–1999. ( PDF - 225k) Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report 2002;51(14):300–303. Accessed: February 2004.
5. CDC. Annual Smoking-Attributable Mortality, Years of Potential Life Lost, and Productivity Losses—United States, 2000–2004. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report 2008;57(45):1226–8 [accessed 2012 Jan 10]
6. McGinnis J, Foege WH. Actual causes of death in the United States. Journal of the American Medical Association 1993;270:2207–2212.
© Copyright 2012 Blake Works Inc.