Anorexia in boys
• 95% of those who have eating disorders are between the ages of 12 and 25.8 1
• An estimated 10-15% of people with anorexia or bulimia are male. 1
• Males with eating disorders often do not want to lose weight or attain a lower body weight; they tend to focus on having a more muscular physical shape. 1
• Men are less likely to seek treatment for eating disorders because of the perception that they are "woman's diseases." 1
• Doctors are reportedly less likely to make a diagnosis of eating disorders in males. Other adults who work with young people and parents also may be less likely to suspect an eating disorder in boys, thereby delaying detection and treatment. 1
• 20% of people suffering from anorexia will prematurely die from complications related to their eating disorder, including suicide and heart problems. 1
Anorexia nervosa warning signs
• Deliberate self-starvation with weight loss.
• Intense, persistent fear of gaining weight.
• Refusal to eat, except tiny portions.
• Continuous dieting.
• Excessive facial or body hair due to inadequate protein in the diet.
• Compulsive exercise.
• Abnormal weight loss.
• Sensitivity to cold.
• Hair loss.
Next >> Find the answer
1. National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders
Copyright 2015 Blake Works Inc.